This simple recipe proves that fast food can be healthy food, and that we can always rely on the basics for a well-rounded and delicious meal! These yamadillas are filling, comforting and endlessly adaptable. Remix them your way - with your favorite salsa for dipping!
1 Lime 1/2 cup Low-sodium salsa 2 cups No-salt canned black beans 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast 4 tsp Chili powder 2 Sweet potatoes 8 Whole grain tortillas
- Prep: Drain and rinse the no-salt canned black beans. Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into small cubes (no need to peel).
- Put the cubed sweet potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Transfer the cooked sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl and add the chili powder, lime juice, nutritional yeast, and 1/4 cup of the salsa. With a fork, smash and mix until well-combined. Fold in the black beans. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Spread the sweet potato mixture onto one tortilla. Top with a second tortilla and gently press it down. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Place yamadillas on the heated grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and grill marks form. Alternatively, place under a broiler in the oven, flipping to brown both sides.
- Slice into triangles and serve with extra salsa for dipping.
For more delicious recipes (personalized to you!), smart shopping lists, grocery deliviery, and cooking tips, join The Whole Foods Diet Meal Planner.